Old Victorian Farmhouse History - Please Come Visit Us
...."arrive as a guest and leave as a friend".
John Dyer Huntington was the first person to purchase the beautiful land on which the farmhouse stands. It consisted of one eighth of Section 36 in Wauconda Township 44 North, Range 9 East, in the rolling farm country of Lake County, Illinois. On January 21, 1846, David Wait purchased the one-eighth section. He and his wife, Fanny, added an adjoining one-sixteenth section of land and built the imposing original portion of the house, which overlooks what is now Main Street. Their son, David Wait, is listed as the owner on the 1873 Land Platt of Wauconda Township. The Land Platt of 1885 shows M. Ford as owner of the farm. Dr. Charles R. Wells is listed as owner on the 1907 Land Platt.
On March 2, 1917, Clayton Kirk Werden purchased the farm. His grandparents, Ambrose P. and Sarah H. (Bagg) Werden, had moved from Massachusetts to Lake County in 1856 and are referred to as “leading citizens of the community.” The 1920 census shows six people living in the household: Clayton, head; Hattie, wife; Edna, daughter; Kirk, son; Louise, mother; and Kirk, uncle. Their 1920's picture portrays a prosperous farm. It includes the house with its large west addition, several family members, some farm buildings and two cars. The barn, which is across the road, is not shown.
John R. Roney , who owned a large farm nearby, purchased the farm on July 12, 1937, and it became known as the Roney Farm #2. The Roneys were dairy farmers and began selling fresh milk and homemade ice cream from a small building near the barn. The house was rented to various families and farm managers during the years it was owned by the Roney family. In October of 1961 the farmhouse on several acres was purchased by Ralph and Lucille Villonio . The remaining land had been subdivided. Norbert and Vincentina Zarumba , their daughter and her husband, lived in the home with them for many years and later became the owners. The Zarumbas raised their family there. Mr. and Mrs. Zarumba were both teachers. Mrs. Zarumba taught fourth grade at Fremont Elementary School for many years.In June of 2004, Archie and Sherry Corder purchased the farmhouse on 9/10 of an acre and began the process of turning it into the lovely Old Victorian Farmhouse Bed and Breakfast. The Bed and Breakfast opened for business in May, 2005.